Vegan BLT with Avocado Spread
The question I always get when people find out that I am a vegetarian and “Part –time vegan” is where do you get your protein then don’t you miss bacon. The second question is funny because I’ve NEVER had bacon in my life before so the idea of me missing something I’ve never tried before is just downright stupid. The misconception people have regarding non-meat eaters is that we deprive of ourselves of everything particularly the delicious food specifically those consists of meat e.g., BLT. But vegetarian/vegan can have BLT that’s even better than the one with meat; which brings me to this week’s recipe Vegan BLT.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 Cremini Mushroom
- 1 extra firm tofu
- 1 Bell Pepper
- Kale (steamed)
- Olive Oil
- 2 ½ tbsp. turmeric
- 2 ½ tbsp. Za'atar spice
- 1 tbsp salt
- Walnut-Olive Bread
- In a mixing bowl place your bell pepper, cremini tofu and tofu. Spice the tofu, pepper and mushroom with turmeric, and Za’atar spice. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to let it marinate.
- While your vegetables are marinating you can start on your avocado sauce or spread. In a mixing bowl mash the peeled and pitted avocado. Add a little of olive oil, 1 spoon of grounded
- almonds and salt. Set aside.
- You could either grill the vegetables or sauté; whichever one is better or accessible to you. Since I don’t have a grill I only sautéed the vegetables. Set your stove to medium, in non-sticky pan add a single drop of olive oil; followed by the Bell pepper, sauté the pepper until you get the grill look. Set aside the Bell pepper and repeat the same step for the mushroom and tofu. Once done set everything aside
- Trim your kale, discarding the thick ribs and stems. Chop Leaves. In a cooking pan sauté the kale leaves in oil until wilted. Stir in water, salt and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes or until kale us tender.
- Spread one side of one slice of bread with avocado spread. Arrange the steam kale, mushroom, tofu and pepper. Top with another layer of steam kale. Spread remaining slice of bread with avocado; place the spread side down to from a sandwich either cut diagonal or serve as it is, and enjoy; bon appetite.