Kale and Eggplant Salad




So its been two months since I last blogged, and a lot has happened apart from almost finishing my undergrad, I got accepted to Grad school and will be leaving this lovely and peaceful city to the big city Toronto. But enough about that, time to talk about food and food. Given my recent unhealthy eating, which consists, of eating a whole bag of Lays salt and vinegar chips I think its time to go back to eating green and raw.



I had a chance to look over my health books and came across Michael Pollan’s book “Food Rules” which I bough maybe three years ago, on part of the book Pollan’s opens the chapter with the simple question of; what kind of of food should I eat? And the answer is mostly plants, especially leaves. This is something that I realized I have been neglecting in my diet recently and it seems that it is time I go back to eating green.

 I was browsing through the lovely Jeanine blog Love & and Lemons when I cam across her recipe for Kale Salad with avocado tahini sauce which inspired this extremely healthy and protein filled salad. This is a simple recipe that even the carnivores in your family will love it.

Serves: serves 5 as a meal
Ingredients
       2 Large Egg plants (Diced)
       3 beets (diced)
       2 tablespoons lemon juice
       1 tablespoon olive oil
       1 cup of Pepitas seeds
       Salt and pepper
       2 cups kale, thinly sliced
       2 cups Swiss chard, thinly sliced
       ¼ tbsp. Za’atar spice
       ¼ tbsp. black pepper
Sauce:
        Private Stock sauce Co. Chef Roberts Aioli Roasted Red pepper (buy from Wholes food)
Instructions: 
1      Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
2      Dice eggplants into desirable shapes and place on a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil. Season with Za’atar, black pepper and salt. Bake for 25-35 minutes. Once done, place eggplant in a bowl season again with Za’atar, olive oil and Roasted Redpeper sauce
3      In a large bowl, toss the kale and Swiss chard, beets, drizzle olive oil, salt, pepitas seeds, and lime. Mix well, then let it sit at room temp for about 15 minutes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So its 2014!!!

Day 3: Tofu Burrito

Sunday Challenge Pose: Grasshopper